Saturday, February 18, 2017

Albies O-Week: A Recap

Hello everyone!

It's Sunday here in Australia, which means, unfortunately, O-Week (Orientation week) is coming to a close.  It was a complete blast and was a great way for me to get familiar with new faces and my new home for the next 4 months!







The week officially started last Sunday with "Coliseum Night."  In the middle of each block is an outside area called a coliseum where everyone drinks punch and mingles with people on their floor/ block.  Throughout the night, everyone signs each others' shirts (and maybe skin, when there's no more room).  By the end of the night, everyone's shirts are pretty much destroyed and everyone is wet from sprinklers and spilled drinks.




Monday night was more low key.  We had a speaker talk to us about the importance of driving safely on Armidale roads, especially when it comes to speeding.  On Tuesday night, we all once again gathered in the coliseums of our blocks and drank punch before our first official Servies function.  The theme was "Traffic Light Night," and we danced until we were exhausted on Servies' massive dance floor.



Wednesday was again, another chill night.  We drank champagne and mingled with members of our SCR- a great experience to network with some Albies' supporters.  Afterwards, some people went to the pub, but I was far too exhausted so I spent the majority of my night working on my online class through Purdue.  Thursday night was quite exciting, however.  Once more, we drank punch with our floor and the theme of the night was to dress as something that began with your block's letter.  Since I live on block D, I dressed up like a doll.  We all drank UDL's (a premixed Australian "crassic" [classic]) in the Albies' JCR.




Friday night was my first experience going to the "Trax"- an Australian pub that has the most beautiful outdoor room.  By Friday, the Albies "returners" (otherwise known as older classmen) had moved back to college, so it was a great way for me to meet more students my age and expand on my friend circle even more.  Earlier in the day, there was a "Billy Madison" function where everyone put their swimmers on and drank 6-packs in baby pools throughout the lawn.



Saturday has to be by-far my favorite day.  It was called "Albies Ladies Day," in which everyone got dressed up and drank champagne on the lawn.  On ladies day, the boys aren't allowed to talk to the girls until they make them lunch- quite a treat.  It was so much fun being able to dress up with everyone, making memories and taking adorable pictures.



As my week draws to an end, I'm sad that I have to say goodbye to care-free functioning, but I am actually pretty excited to start my classes and continue experiencing Australian culture and meeting new faces.  For now, I'm going to rest up- my week begins with a 3 day field trip to a Queensland cotton farm!

-Hallie

1 comment: