Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Sydney

G'day!  As I begin reflecting on my mid-semester break endeavors, I have decided to start my story-telling with my 4 days spent in the city.  Sydney was probably one of my favorite places that I visited because it is full of life and so many people.



The first morning of my two-week trip met me with a 6-hour drive to Sydney (I wasn't the driver, of course- Aussies drive on the left side of the road).  We had to leave quite early due to the Cyclone Betty bringing bad weather to Australia's east coast.  When I arrived, I got settled into my first hostel- Base Sydney- which was quite a new experience for me.  Overall, I really enjoyed staying in hostels throughout my trip because they allowed me to meet so many unique individuals from across the world who were traveling or working.





During my first full day, I was able to walk all along Bondi beach and spend some time under the sun.  Its water, clean sands, and nearby buildings have to make it one of the prettiest beaches I've ever been to.  The area is full of numerous hole-in-the-wall restaurants and pubs.  I fell in love with their lattes and acai-bowls.













Another thing I really enjoyed about Sydney was how many world-renowned restaurants are scattered in the city.  One afternoon, I went to a place where they make gelato literally in the shape of a flower.  It was almost too pretty to eat, but of course, I couldn't help myself.  While in Sydney, I also tried sushi for the first time (shocking, right?) at a sushi train restaurant where sushi is makes laps around the tables on a belt, making it a perfect place for a quick eat.












Of course, I couldn't go to Sydney without also spending time admiring the Opera House and the bridge.  The opera house was absolutely breathtaking.  While I didn't go inside on this trip, I'm really looking forward to going back to Sydney in a few weeks to see The Wombats play at the venue.  The bridge was also an incredible sight to see.  I was able to take these photos from a ferry that took me to Manly later that day.

















My favorite spot in Sydney to visit was Darling Harbor.  It was very close to the hostel, making it quite easy to take walks to at night. It is so beautiful at night when everything it lit up, and there are numerous cute shops and cafes along the wharf.  This part of the city definitely made it hard to say goodbye, but I was able to fall in love with other parts of Australia during my trip as well.  Keep your eyes out for my next blog post where I'll recap my time spent on Magnetic Island!



Cheers,

Hallie

1 comment: